Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bad Day

One of the assignments we were given over the weekend was to (unfortunately) have a bad day. And while I don't think I went out of my way to have a horrible day, I was definitely more acutely aware of all the little things that would normally roll right off my shoulder. One incident that stands out is when I was coming back home from playing tennis, I changed from tennis shoes to flips flops and stubbed my toe very abruptly  on a large rock. It was painful. Why is it that your small toe is such an insignificant part of your body yet has the ability to harbor so much pain but "stubbed" in the appropriate way. Another small "bad-day" occurrence was at Avo's in the SUB when the girl making my sandwich was supposed to toast it, but the toaster was not on, so we both waited there for a few minutes while my turkey-on-wheat remained untoasted in the toaster that wasn't even on. I guess she didn't notice and I didn't really care - but then I realized the assignment was to have bad day, and I immediately became FURIOUS! (just kidding, but for the sake of the story, let's say I threw up my fist of anger and slammed it down on the counter and demanded a new sandwich - toasted this time). The additional "badness" of my weekend was essentially just the amount of stress weighing on my shoulders from tests, quizzes, papers, and reading assignments - that can really kill your buzz. 

Whenever I think of "no-good-horrible-very-bad-days", I always think of  "The Book of Job" and suddenly my life isn't so bad. I mean, he is this guy who seems to have everything going for him and then BAM! his world is turned upside down. I mean, could you imagine that there is some sort of higher being who decides that the only reason you praise "Him" is because you've lived a very cushioned life and wants to test your devotion to "Him" by taking away everything that you love? I can imagine that would be a very life-altering change or series of changes. And still, when Job has nothing, he does not curse God. Job was punished because the Gods were simply "performing a social experiment" on him. I think that's how the stories of Ovid and other ancient mythology are all about; if the Gods are angry, some mortal being will suffer and there will be massive destruction. Or even if the Gods are particularly "mad" but just want to play a little game, it could result as the suffering of mortals. I feel like this could serve as some sort of explanation for "bad things" happening to us; it's not just spontaneous, the Gods are always behind it. So maybe Zeus was just really upset with me on Sunday and that's why I have to suffer with an un-toasted sub sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment