Monday, November 8, 2010

Pygmalion

After reading Ovid, I think I've come to the conclusion that my favorite story out of the entire "secular bible" is, unironically, the story of Pygmalion. It doesn't surprise me because it's the one story that ends happily and I'm very intrigued by the idea of not being able to find the "perfect somebody" so you simply create someone who meets your every expectations of your ideal significant other. Obviously, I'm not the only one who feels this way because people are still making modern interpretations of this love story.

And even now, I think that people try to create their significant other - not necessarily out of ivory - but rather by forcing someone to meet our expectations of them. And we all know the story of women who think they can "fix" the "bad boy" but when it comes down to it, I think people are simply too incorrigible. And unlike the story of Pygmalion, we don't get our perfect person; we either compromise part of ourself to meet the standards of someone else or we reluctantly accept that other person, flaws and all.

For a quirky interpretation of  "Pygmalion" watch the film Lars and the Real Girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment