Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dream

After many nights of not remembering any of my dreams, I finally remembered one! It's wonderful news because often, the most recent dream I have at night (assuming the human brain dreams several times per night) seems to slip through my fingers as the day goes on and other thoughts take up the space which the dream once occupied. I (unintentionally) finished this assignment by taking a nap in the middle of the day, and sure enough, when I woke up, the memory was crystal clear.

The dream isn't too edge-of-your-seat exciting, but I was in the car with my family back home in Billings (which consists of my mom, dad, and two younger sisters) and we were driving around town in my first car (an '89 Buick Regal with red interior and a digital display - tres chic, I know) but for some reason I was very nervous about how my family would react to my driving skills after I had returned home from Bozeman. In fact, I could only physically drive with one arm. I was swerving in the road when we reached our destination - Softies ice cream. But as I was pulling into the small parking lot, my car scraped the side of a black Cadillac Escalade, leaving a very deep, distinct scratch on the car. The man behind the wheel had bright, curly, ginger hair and began screaming at me as I stepped outside the vehicle. He actually kind of looked like the Swedish chef from the Muppets. I began to cry, but then my mom put her arm around me as our family bought smoothies and drove away as if nothing ever happened, and everything was still perfectly fine. Then I woke up.

I am pretty lost as to what any of this symboloizes (maybe I have a fear of people with red hair and have underlying insecurities about my driving abilities, or lack thereof) but what I did noticed was that my dream included the "hero's" final stage in his journey - the eventual return back home. Maybe after leaving for college and facing some sort of initiation(?) this was my-welcome-back-home-to-the-family dream. Who knows. I guess I have a lot to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment