Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apollo & Daphne

Impaled by disdain I do not
Wish to be yours forever.
You stare at me with eyes of
Admiration,
Or lust, it may be.
The fields scream with your stride
As you approach me from behind.

All is silent.
Then I begin to run.
Faster and faster our worlds quickly
Become one.
You pursue me with the intention
Of keeping me forever.

How long is ‘forever’ in a young man’s eyes?
Within seconds I am an object of your strife,
Your fingers dart for mine like a golden arrow
Only moments away from piercing my heart.

You may say that this is love, but what is love if it
Can never be returned?
I laugh at you silently as you try to reach for my hand.
Foolish man, you can never love a woman
Whose fingers have turned to leaves.

Apollo and Daphne. John William Waterhouse. Oil on canvas. 1908.


No comments:

Post a Comment